Thursday, December 9, 2010

Advent/Christmas Music Part 2

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

This song nearly makes me cry every time I hear it. It somehow doesn't matter what rendition of it I am hearing, but that refrain gets me every single time. I especially enjoy Casting Crowns version from a recent Christmas Album they put out. But keep in mind this is an old time hymn singing an old time message of Christmas.

As to the lyrics, as I said before that refrain gets me every single time. Here it is:

And the bells they're ringing,
Like a choir they're singing,
In my heart I hear them,
Peace on earth, Goodwill to men

And then the words of the verses seamlessly transition:

And in despair I bowed my head,
There is no peace on earth I said,
For hate is strong and mocks the song,
Of peace on earth, goodwill to men

Yet despite this, the bells are ringing...

I think this song really captures the essence of a theology of the cross. There is something awful about what we see around us, even in this message of Christianity, yet therein lies the beauty. Despite the sin of humanity, despite the brokenness, despite the carnage, despite death itself the bells are ringing...

Then ring the bells more loud and deep,
God is not dead nor does he sleep...

That aspect of the verse is the reversal Gospel message telling the hearer that despite what this world looks like, especially in the cold of the season where poverty and sickness and emptiness highlight the predicament of so many, God is not dead nor does he sleep. That is Israel's refrain about Yahweh, and the Church as Israel claims that as its own.

In Psalm 121 the Psalmist writes, Look! He who keeps Israel does not slumber nor does he sleep (Psalm 121:4) Seems easy enough, seems like a nice line, but the context helps us a great deal. The surrounding pagan religions saw their gods as ones that hibernated, especially in the winter. They do slumber, they do sleep. So Israel boldly proclaims, "Yahweh does not slumber, he does not sleep!" And in the face of society today, "God is not dead!"

Yahweh is your Keeper, even in the chill--the cold of the winter. God is not a god who hibernates, but stays actively involved in this world. Even amidst what seems like a complete mockery of "Peace on earth, goodwill to men," Yahweh is there. He is your Keeper. And God proves that by emptying of himself and becoming man.

God as human. Another ridiculous concept and notion to Israel's neighbors. Another ridiculous concept and notion to our neighbors today.

If/when you hear this song or sing this hymn this season, keep that refrain dear to your longing heart. There is peace on earth and goodwill to humans, the Savior has come, and he is here to restore our lives.

No comments: