Tuesday, March 31, 2009

No Sleep Till Brooklyn

Ok the title of the post is pretty worldly, coming from the rap/hip hop group Beastie Boys' album "Licensed to Ill."  But call this a formal announcement of sorts even though I've been leaking it like horrible plumbing the last couple of weeks:

On Sunday St. John the Evangelist Lutheran Church in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Williamsburg voted on and approved my taking on a role as an intern this summer for 8 plus weeks half of June, all of July, and half of August.  

To me this is nothing short of a thrill.  As I prepare to graduate from Valparaiso University in under 7 seven weeks and prepare to enter Concordia Seminary (official decision from committee coming down Monday 4/6), to have an opportunity like this roll around is fantastic.  My internship will consist of me getting acclimated in a culturally diverse neighborhood and working not only with the great parish of St. John's but also with other area Brooklyn Lutheran Churches of the Atlantic District, LCMS, including the opportunity to work with a close friend as she takes on a role of sorts at another Brooklyn parish.  

Urban ministry is something I really feel "called" to.  Which is why I am taking this position.  It also helped as my Dad and I were discussing possible summer employment opportunities in early February that Dr. Benke, President/Bishop of the Atlantic District, happened to send me an email initially alerting me to this position.  Some call that coincidence, others call it lunacy, I call it God.

One thing I will be missing out on this summer is being a part of nearly the day to day activity that goes on at Trinity Lutheran Church in Islip.  I'll still be around plenty, but responsibilities with the youth ministry which include being on the summer staff and teaching 6th grade at VBS are now off the table.  To say I won't miss that is false.  I am forever indebted to TLC, as we affectionally call it, and to all who call it home.  My ministry in Brooklyn and beyond as I go through pastoral formation and eventually onto my own parish is also their ministry.  I was nurtured by that congregation and they deserve to know that everyone, young and old, have helped me along to where I am today.

Although I have great experiences and can bring those to St. John's to help them, I recognize my place as a servant to them first and foremost.  Because as St. Paul so eloquently put it, "But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.8Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." Philippians 3:7-8


No comments: