Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Wisdom" and Power Washing

Got my wisdom teeth out last Wednesday.  The whole thing was rather supernatural.  Went in, got strapped in like I was preparing for an intense ride, then the knock out drug was administered via IV.  I asked the doctor how long it would take, he said a few minutes, the nurse corrected him "A few seconds," she said.  So I sat there for a few seconds waiting and kind of talking it through and looking straight ahead it all went fuzzy, the nurse to my right told me to just enjoy it.  I woke up with gauze in my mouth and ice bags at my face, which was completely numb.  That day was fine, I didn't feel much.  Thursday and Friday were brutal.  I made it to Bible Study Thursday night, but was in visible pain.  Unfortunately I had to miss out on our churches High School Overnighter Friday night into Saturday morning.  But I am finally feeling better.  Mouth is sore, but I imagine that may take a little while to overcome.  

Not so sure of what wisdom if any that I have lost.  Even with losing, count 'em, five wisdom teeth I feel the same.  I guess my point here is that we never have the wisdom ourselves.  Any wisdom we have comes from God.  It is God who imparts this wisdom to us through scripture.  So even with five less teeth I "understand" this bit.  It's always God and never us...

Speaking of God, I've been power washing the literal crud out of our deck out back the past couple days in preparation for little bro's graduation/summer.  It's pretty cool, as simple as it is, how the power of the water takes the dirt, grime, and stain right out of the wood.  So while I was out there doing that today I said to myself, "Huh, this is kinda like God."  God being the power wash machine and taking the grime and stain of sin right out of us.  How does God do this?  He did it by sacrificing His only Son on wood.  Two beams of wood brought together to be used as a vicious execution tool is how He did it.  How does God impart an event some 2,000 years ago on us today?  He uses water.  What?  Well okay, not just water, but Water+the Word.  In combining Water and God's Word, we get baptism.  Baptism is where we are brought into the fold by being directly connected to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on that wooden cross.  Just like the power washer the Water and the Word removes the stain of sin and replaces it with a fresh coat, or cloak, the cloak of righteousness won by Jesus Christ and Him alone.

Next time you're power washing the deck think about it!

No comments: