Saturday, March 19, 2011

Honest and Thoughtful Reviews of Rob Bell

I regret actually posting about a book I have not read. But since this has been blowing up all over the Christian interwebs for a couple of weeks now, I figured I would point people into the direction of two non-reactionary, honest, and yet thoughtful reviews of Rob Bell's new book, Love Wins (Harper Collins). Big ups to Mockingbird Blog for supplying their readers with these thoughtful analyses. One is by Mark Galli and the other by Casey Hobbs.

I hope to read this book after spring quarter. I think it is very important to engage a book like this because it does open up a worthy conversation and because Bell is such a popular person. It is much better to engage someone and speak the truth in love than lob reactionary critiques and use big words which tickle us silly. Let me know what you think!

P.S. I think its helpful to cite folks who are actually coming from a similar--or similar enough--environment to Bell to understand his thought process and context. Again, I hope to read the book and come at it from a Lutheran perspective, but that is a good couple months away yet.

P.S.S In the interest of being "fair," here is a link to Bell's reaction to the reaction(s).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, thanks for your kind words on my review. Also, good job on keeping the conversation at an honest trajectory.

As somebody who feels more and more like a Lutheran everyday I'll look forward to seeing what you have to say after you give it a good read!

In Christ,

Casey

M. Staneck said...

Casey,

Thanks for reading and for the comment. I look forward to reading the book myself. Your review provides a good place for the conversation to take off in. Let me know if you need any recommendations for Luther(an) readings!

Peace in Jesus,

Matt