Thursday, August 21, 2008

End of Summer thoughts

Wow, for the three or so of you reading...it seems just like yesterday I was posting about (April actually) how excited I was for the summer.  Well, like it always does, summer has come and gone.  Come tomorrow I will be trekking back out to Valparaiso, Indiana to begin to finish what I started there three years ago.  I don't mean for this post to be something of a nuisance or much of a promulgator of the Law.  However, where does it all go from here?  Too many times people will sit on their past and wonder "Did I do enough here/there?"  What good is that?  Even if the moment literally just passed us, what done is done.  Maybe you're feeling something inside that's telling you that you should have been more bold in your faith.  Maybe you're feeling something inside that's telling you that you need to let your light shine forth for others to see.  Maybe you're not thinking on theological terms like I do all the time and you're simply thinking along the lines of how much is gone.  

How much does lie ahead (does that even make a lick of sense?)!  Seriously though, look ahead.  The only thing that we should be looking back at is the cross.  We look back to remember, we look ahead at our own resurrection (oops sorry there I go again).  We can also look ahead to the things that are coming that will shape us into the people we are.  Be it a change in schools (HS or college or whatever), a new job, a new family, a new whatever!  Rejoice for the things that lie ahead and always remember it's never good to go back.  There is no need to dwell on your failures or missed opportunities.  The sun will rise again, and if it doesn't....(ok I'll hold myself back), and with the sun new opportunities.  Just like with the Son the opportunity to join in communion with Him and His people.  This is no joke.  At Baptism we were given the Son, and the opportunities that arise each day with it.  Just as the sun rises in the morning, remember your baptism daily.  What a way to start the day.  I ought to take myself up on my own advice.  

As I did in that April post, here's Luther:

"Let us rejoice in this coming day, and let us say: Winter has lasted long enough, beautiful summer once more will come, aye, a summer which will never end, a summer in which not only all the saints rejoice, but all the angels as well, a summer for which all creatures wait and sigh, an eternal summer in which all things are made new."

No comments: